Welcome to yet another brand new week! Although we can really start fresh at any moment and any day, I’m always especially grateful for the clean slate Mondays bring.
I thought I’d get into a bit of logistics for you in today’s Motivational Monday post and literally show you what being prepared looks like to me.
Before I finish each weekend I set my bags up for the week [my school bag, workout bag, practicum bag, etc.]. This process has become second-nature to me, but it truly helps me not feel so scattered throughout the week as the days blur together and meetings roll into hours of schoolwork.
Today I’m going to focus on the workout bag [because really, who wants to see what’s in my school bag?]. My goal in setting up my workout bag is to have enough stuff in it to complete a full workout if for some reason I had an hour to spare. Or if a friend called and said, “Hey, wanna meet at the beach and study?”. Or if I felt like going to yoga instead of studying for a third hour.
Ultimately, it shouldn’t be an option to turn down a workout if I don’t want to, even if I’m half an hour from my house.
So, what’s in the bag?
[First off, I have to say that I absolutely adore my Under Armour workout bag. It’s got loads of room, side pockets, front zippers, and even a loop for my hair ties (I’m an organization queen!)].
- Clean, dry clothes for post-workout: You may have noticed that I’m not high maintenance. I don’t wear much makeup or put much energy into fashion. Extra clothes that aren’t easily wrinkled are key for me. I can go straight from teaching a TurboKick class to sitting in a meeting in t-minus 30 minutes.
- Stuff for showering: Some people aren’t big on showering in public spaces, but I’ve had absolutely no problem in that area since my communal bathroom in college. Being able to shower at my workout facility saves time and energy, especially since I live about 20 minutes from town [where I work and go to school].
- Workout + shower towels: should be pretty self-explanatory, right? You can’t shower unless you’ve got a towel [or you’ve got some wicked skillz]. I also keep a beach towel in my trunk [because I’m lucky enough to live in Hawai`i].
- Swim suit + goggles: It’s pretty hot in Hawai`i, plus swimming is an incredible workout for everyone, so if there’s ever a chance that I can get to the pool/beach to do a few laps or take a water aerobics class, I’m in!
- Extra set of workout gear: I like to stash a good all-purpose tank and capris in the bag so that I could use it for anything from a quick jog to a Vinyasa Flow class.
Also in my bag, but not pictured:
- My iPod + Polar heart rate monitor: I don’t monitor my heart rate every time I exercise, but I do use it quite often as a gauge.
- A couple TurboKick rounds: to practice teaching or to get a quick self-taught workout in.
- Rubber bands, panty liners, bobby pins: things that make my life easier.
- High-protein snacks: protein powder [to be mixed with water/veggie juice], almonds, sometimes a peanut butter sandwich… ya know, real food to nourish my body after a good sweat sesh.
And with that, I’m off to teach a kickboxing class! Maybe I’ll get in another workout today, too.
Do you keep extra stuff in your workout bag, just in case? How do you set yourself up for success?
Motivational Mondays are meant to offer you tips and tools to help you live a healthy and balanced lifestyle. To see more posts like this one, check out the Motivational Monday tab!
Aloha Pumehana. Whether you’re here to find balance, wholesome recipes or inspiration, I hope you enjoy the posts. Please subscribe to Green Plate Dinners to receive automatic updates and be the first to read new posts for free!