Really, sixteen weeks?? Where is the time going?
I feel like the first eight weeks or so dragged on, and now here I am in awe that we’re officially at the four month mark!
“Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he’s about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces… His heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.” (Source)
For the past week or so I’ve been waking up feeling extremely fortunate. I’m so grateful for all the incredible support that surrounds me; for this life-changing experience; for the love of my life… but most of all, I’ve been feeling immensely grateful to be able to have conceived and be pregnant right here on Maui, where I was born and raised.
I’ve always been a sensitive person and found solace in nature – the stars, the ocean, the trees – and I’ve always felt especially connected to Maui. It means the world to me to be able to nourish my growing baby with fresh, healthy food from Maui’s bountiful and fertile soil. To find solace and feel completely supported by the buoyancy of the healing Pacific Ocean. To breathe in fresh island air and be surrounded by beauty every day. To be surrounded by so many people of different cultures. Most of all, though, it means everything to me to share this beautiful experience with the generations of women who came before me; conceiving, growing, and birthing right here on the same soil.
There you have it, week sixteen has made me even more sappy than usual.
[Week 8 vs. Week 16 – I spy a bump! ]
But aside from that, I’ve been feeling so good lately that I’m starting to wonder if I’m still pregnant [Ben has to keep reminding me that I haven’t had my period in months, so I must be]. I haven’t been getting heartburn much at all lately [thank goodness!], my appetite is in full-swing, I’ve got enough energy to get me through the day, I can even write papers again! Some signs that I am still pregnant: I was so exhausted last Friday after my first week back to school/work/practicum that I slept for 11 hours. Also, I’m emotional, I’m still peeing more than ever, and if I stand up too quickly from bed, my round ligaments scream at me [my chiropractor has been immensely helpful with round ligament pain].
A few random facts for this week:
- Current favorite yoga pose: half pigeon – hurts so good!
- Pregnancy secret of the week: I do kegels while sitting at stop lights.
- Total weight gain: about 1.5 lbs so far
- Greatest realization so far: wheat gives me heartburn [duh!]. I took it out of my diet again and the heartburn has totally subsided… but I was in pain all day after eating a handful of honey-mustard pretzels.
- Average number of dreams per night: 3, and they’ve been incredibly vivid!
- Sweetest gesture: one of my best friends who lives on O’ahu read about my no-maternity-stores dilemma and sent me a care package with a BeBand – my single-most wanted maternity item since conceiving. Thank you so so much Stacy, you are so thoughtful and I am so thankful!!
Does/did it matter much to you where your pregnancy or birth experience happens?
Aloha Pumehana. Whether you’re here to find balance, wholesome recipes or inspiration, I hope you enjoy the posts. Please subscribe to Green Plate Dinners to receive automatic updates and be the first to read new posts for free!