Where is the time going??
Sorry I’ve been missing in action for over a week… between finals, finishing up my practicum [woohoo!], helping out with our largest annual fundraiser, and one of my best friends visiting, my mind has been in other places lately. Not to mention I haven’t been feeling 100% for about a week now, so I’ve been trying to get more rest and keep things low-key.
In any case, the baby is doing wonderfully, so here’s a little update before I hit the 30 week mark.
“Your baby is growing rapidly now. This week he weighs about 2 1/2 pounds and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is getting bigger to accommodate his growing brain – which is busy developing billions of neurons. Every day, about 200 milligrams of calcium is deposited in your baby’s skeleton, which is now hardening. With this rapid growth, it’s no surprise that your baby’s nutritional needs reach their peak during this trimester.” (Source.)
[female body before pregnancy vs. 28 weeks]
I am still so amazed when I look at the photos above and realize just how much my body’s had to change and shift to accommodate the little guy/gal’s growth. Our bodies are incredible! I can definitely feel the baby’s “rapid growth”! The little one has been squirming and moving much more than ever lately, often finding sensitive spots that take my breath away for a second or two.
After looking at the anatomy photos it makes sense that my body’s been feeling much more worn down lately than ever before. The curvature of my spine continues to change, I’m finding it more and more difficult to get out of bed [which happens very frequently], and standing for long periods of time is no longer a comfortable option. It seems that every single day I’m getting substantially bigger, which makes me happy because it means the little one is growing strong and healthy!
In a nutshell:
- Weight gained so far: about 15 lbs. since conception. I was hovering at about 10 lbs. gained for months, then suddenly I had a huge growth spurt in the past few weeks!
- Last week’s midwife appointment: was totally reassuring and wonderful. Ben and I both really love our midwife Tina because she truly trusts in the process and has total faith in my ability to bring this baby into the world perfectly. When we went last week, the baby was head-down facing outward… but the baby’s moving all the time and I honestly can’t tell how he/she is positioned myself.
- Time spent watching YouTube waterbirths this week: 3+ hours. I spent an entire afternoon watching and psyching myself up, thinking things like “I can SO do that!”. When I found one that scared me, I’d skip it and reassure myself that my birth would be different. My thoughts continue to fluctuate between I can Do This! and What the Hell Have I Gotten Myself Into?! I assume that’s normal, though.
- Class updates: our midwife is going to put together a childbirth + breastfeeding class with the women who have due dates coming up in the next few months. I like this idea best because it’ll go over the course of a few weeks and I’ll get to know other like-minded parents-to-be. Ben and I are also gearing up to tour the hospital and turn in our paperwork there [just in case].
- Boy/Girl feelings: I’ve been saying “he” a lot more lately and have gotten a lot of comments about it being a boy lately [because I’m “carrying high”, haven’t been “drained of my beauty” and because I don’t crave sweets?]. Ben thinks it’s a girl… merely because the chances are 50/50.
- Number of flips the baby’s done this week: dozens! This baby is turning into a ninja!
- The only place I want to be: In the water. At the beach, in the pool, in the ponds… it doesn’t matter. Just give me water.
I’m continue to be so in love with this whole journey! And the 30 week mark is right around the corner! Hopefully I’ll do a better job of posting this coming week.
Aloha Pumehana. Whether you’re here to find balance, wholesome recipes or inspiration, I hope you enjoy the posts. Please subscribe to Green Plate Dinners to receive automatic updates and be the first to read new posts for free!